How to Handle Kitchen Knives Correctly
3. července 2019
If we invest in buying quality kitchen knives, of course, we want them to serve us for a long time. We should, therefore, follow these 7 rules that extend its life:
- Choose a quality kitchen knife.
- Slice only on a dedicated plate. The ideal food cutting board is wood, which has been cut in the direction of the fibers, or a plastic plate. Never use glass or marble slabs to reliably blunt the knife.
- Wash the kitchen knife immediately after use. Especially fruit or vegetables (for example tomatoes or citrons) contain a high acid content. If the rests of the food dry up on the blade, the acid etches the blade and can also stain on the blade.
- Do not use the dishwasher to wash the knife. Even though, for example, our Ruby kitchen knives can be washed in the dishwasher, the chemical and physical reactions that take place in the dishwasher also affect them. Specifically, these are the effects of salt, shock changes in temperature, and microparticles that are released from other dishes.
- Store the knife. Kitchen knives should not just be placed in a drawer where their blades touch another metal. The solution can be either magnetic wall holders or special wooden knife blocks.
- Use the sharpening steel regularly to sharpen the knife. The right steel does not sharpen the knife but merely balances the fine blade that was curled during the sharpening process.
- Sharpen the knife regularly. Sharpening the knives creates the right blade angle. Depending on the frequency of use, kitchen knives should be sanded once or twice a year. If we really care about knives, we should entrust grinding to the hands of professionals.